Page Tabs

Friday, April 16, 2010

They own my heart

Family. I love mine! They pretty much own my heart! I am extremely fortunate to still have all four of my grandparents. I know this is rare and have never taken it for granted, these past two weeks especially.

Last week was my spring break. I spent the first three days of that week with my Dad's parents preparing and packing my Grandma to move into an Alzheimer's assisted living facility. For the past year, my Grandpa has been her primary care giver. This was awesome! However, because my Grandma had began "wondering" the time became necessary to move her into an environment where she will be safe. It was a tough transition for her, as well as for my Grandpa. Encouragingly, after a few days in her new environment my Grandma told us, "These people are really nice. This isn't as bad as I thought it would be." GREAT news for all to hear!

That week was undoubtedly stressful, and with a serious of small things with siblings and a friend (which alone were not a big deal, but, considering the week, seemed to have a magnified stress level), I was more than ready to get back to school and a "normal" routine.

Then Sunday night came.

I got a call around 10pm telling me that my Grandpa (yes, same family) was in the hospital. He had driven himself with a rapid heart rate and abdominal pains. I found myself lying in bed thinking, "Seriously, God! What more are you going to throw at me?"

Monday came and the initial diagnosis was that my Grandpa had had a heart attack and needed his gall bladder removed. However, Monday, the story was different. When asked by my Dad how Grandpa's heart was, nurses said it is fine. Then Tuesday they performed an Endoscopy and found nothing serious, so Wednesday they did a Colonoscopy and found cancer. I cannot say I was surprised as my Grandpa is not one to have regular check-ups on things like his colon.

Today, my Grandpa had surgery. I thought they were going to remove part of his colon, but that did not happen. They removed his gall bladder, and will do his colon surgery, hopefully, in a few days.

I am ashamed to say, it has been a while since I have spent as much time in prayer as I have these past two weeks. I pray daily, but these past two weeks I never quit praying. I know God will never give me anything I cannot handle, but that does not make weeks like these any easier. I am trusting God and His plan for not only MY life, but also the lives of my family members. This is not easy to do right now, but I know it is the only way. Now I find myself thinking maybe this was God's way of getting me back on track. After all He does work in mysterious ways!

I'm off to the assisted living facility to see Grandma! Then it's up to the hospital to see Grandpa!

More to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment